Mentat: That class of Imperial citizens trained for supreme accomplishments of logic. "Human computers."

Saturday, March 25, 2006

Give Me Some Credit

For a long time, I've realized that I've been behaving inconsistently. Personally I try to live my beliefs according to Gandhi's wise words: "We must be the change we wish to see in the world". What a simple but perfect statement! Yet whereas I behave in a certain way my meagre earnings do not. Each couple of weeks, they go to one of the big Canadian banks for "safe" keeping. However once handed over, my assets, such as they are, could very well be funding projects that I would not dare dream of supporting. Perhaps my assets supported the construction of highways like our very own Red Hill Creek Expressway, animal testing on cosmetic products, the marketing and sale of military hardware, genetically modified crops, the construction of nuclear power plants, clearcutting, hell, maybe even Canada's own seal hunt was funded through my bank and therefore my money. Banks like mine wouldn't dare utter the word ethics; charity sure, but never ethics.

So my inconsistency was troubling to me. But unlike others, I knew that my salvation lay in the coffers of our nation's credit unions. There I would be an owner and equal to any other member be they holding $100 or $100,000. Credit unions hold ethics high in their organizations because they know that their members would have it no other way; it's not all about profits for them. Inherently democratic, credit unions have active owners/members. Feel free to visit the website of a credit union; I guarantee you'll easily find their ethical policy featured prominently. Imagine how Canada would be revolutionized if we all took ownership of OUR money through credit unions. I encourage you to consider moving over to one.

So I approached Desjardins Credit Union to save me having researched them and their attractive account features. After explaining that I wanted to open an account, I was told that I would have to undergo a credit check. What? I give you all my money and have to undergo a credit check; shouldn't I be the one demanding a credit check of you? I'm not asking for a loan. I'm not asking for an overdraft. Strike one.

Strike two was a request for identification and my current address. I have no proof of my current address. I do not pay my own bills because I pay all inclusive rent. I find this an easier and much less stressful way to live. I have a pay-as-you-go mobile phone so no landline to reveal my roots. When I explained I had no driver's license I was met with a blank stare. What could I be thinking? How do I live? I enjoy being unconventional. I don't think I have enough identification to open this account. A friend often jokes with me that I "live off the grid". Nothing could be further from the truth but compared with my fellows perhaps it's close to the truth. I miss out on full participation in financial life (oxymoron?) due to my choice of lifestyle.

Strike three will happen when I return and ask to speak with the manager of the local branch I expect. He or she is unlikely to be sympathetic to my situation. Bureaucracy is nothing if not inflexible.

Perhaps this credit union has not lived up to my idealized vision and maybe none will. For now my money remains in the hands of a faceless corporation. Business continues as usual.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home