Mentat: That class of Imperial citizens trained for supreme accomplishments of logic. "Human computers."

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Music Swap

Tired of all my moralizing, moaning about hypocrisy and suggestions for fighting climate change? Let's talk music! I want to share three bands that I'm listening to currently. I'll try and do this from time to time from now on. Feel free to write in comments about bands you're listening to because I'm always on the lookout for new tunes. Not that I have anything against the big guys like Radiohead or Arcade Fire but let's try and share some music that others might not have heard of.


1)
Arab Strap

When I first downloaded these guys I wasn't that impressed. But their music is totally growing on me; maybe it has something to do with my current state of mind. It's very mellow, excellent chill out music. It feels like good head bobbing music for nights on the couch. The singer sounds like absolutely the coolest dude in the world. My guess is that they're from Scotland but somewhere in the British Isles nonetheless.

Current Favourite Song: The Shy Retirer

Favourite lyrics: ". . . you know I'm always moaning but you jump start my serotonin . . ."


2) TV on the Radio

Super high energy band from New York City. All the songs I've heard by them are brilliant and instantly lock themselves inside your head. Like a lovely addiction you always want to listen again and again. I haven't had that feeling since high school when I just played CDs through over and over. They are coming to Toronto soon; expect to see me in the front row.


Current Favourite Song: Dry Drunk Emperor


Favourite lyrics: "Baby boys dying under hot desert sun; watch your colours run. Did you believe the lie they told you, that Christ would lead the way, and in a matter of days, he'd hand us victory? . . ."

3) The Most Serene Republic

Wonderful! I didn't even know these guys were Canadian until I found their myspace. I actually saw them in concert with the Strokes but didn't realize that I'd hate the Strokes and love them; nothing against the Strokes but a super rockstar fool in all white kind of turned me off. Unfortunately I missed much of Most Serene Republic's intro having arrived late. But I've made up for it since. This is another very fun band much like Broken Social Scene--they share the same label actually.


Current Favourite Song: Epilogue


Favourite Lyrics: "I think we all know the words; I think we all know the words; I think we all know the words; I think we all know the words . . ." (it comes out of nowhere but, trust me, you'll be singing along before you know it)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home