Mentat: That class of Imperial citizens trained for supreme accomplishments of logic. "Human computers."

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Small Censorship

Yesterday I was taking my usual quick look at the Globe and Mail's website. The Globe is far from perfect but it's a decent national paper. I probably am loyal to it because my father had a subscription when I was a boy. For that same reason I opened a bank account with CIBC--now thankfully I've seen the error of my ways and removed myself to a credit union. Along the same lines I think that I'll be abandoning the institution of the Globe and Mail.

What could have caused this sudden change? Yesterday on the Globe and Mail's website, which features four major stories followed by specific categories such as sports and business, had an interesting third story. This was apparently the third most important story of the day.

This mundane story dealt with a small local argument between a synagogue and the YMCA in Montreal. Perhaps the Globe thought that they had come across a sexy clash of civilizations story to boost their flagging readership. Perhaps their editors are thick. Sadly it's probably a little of both. The synagogue demanded of the YMCA and received a pledge to frost over some windows that gave young acolytes a clear view of exercising women (and men for those so inclined); now some YMCA patrons are demanding that the windows be un-frosted. It's almost not even worth devoting some brain cells to.

Being outraged that this base story was considered national news I joined the online conversation that the Globe encourages with all their stories. I called them on this lame story and questioned if this was indeed worthy news. I encouraged the editorial staff to consider real issues like peak oil or climate change instead. Who cares what windows are frosted when your planet is uninhabitable?

I expected to receive an email that my commentary was posted. It never came. Long live censorship! Goodbye Globe and Mail and good luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home