Mentat: That class of Imperial citizens trained for supreme accomplishments of logic. "Human computers."

Friday, May 04, 2007

Eight Years to Go

I woke up this morning, like every morning, to the sounds of Metro Morning. Following my snoozing for 30 minutes, I get up and take a very short shower, just enough to soap up and rinse off; I've stopped washing my hair, I don't think one needs to. Then I put on my clothes, eat some fruit or a piece of toast with peanut butter on it. Then it's out the door for my 30 minute bus ride to work. At work I am chained to my computer and print a few sheets on recycled paper and carry on my regular duties; sometimes I meet with City staff and go to various meetings on my bike or on the bus. I eat a yummy vegan lunch and dinner, trying against the world to eat locally. I sometimes play sports in the evening or go to a pub or cafe in my neighbourhood. Then I sleep and am woken up by Metro Morning again and the process begins again.

I like to believe that this behaviour is sustainable. But is it?

I want to believe that it is but with 6 billion human beings on the earth I know that it isn't. Even if these billions of humans would give up their cars (which they won't) to take the bus to work, or gave up their bacon and eggs (which they won't) for fruit and used less energy to heat their homes and water (which they won't), it still wouldn't be possible for us to not destroy the earth and act sustainably.

And please don't tell me that technology will save us. It won't.

This morning I heard right off the top of Metro Morning's news that 30 percent of the Earth's plant and animal species will be extinct if our planet, with civilized humans at the helm, continues down our "progressive" path; temperature rises will dismantle ecosystems and cause this genocide. Apparently humans have eight years to prevent this ecocide according to "experts". This is probably the most sickening news I have heard in a while. I've heard about tipping points before and temperature increases but this means that the plants and animals that make this a special world will be disappearing forever and soon.

And it's my fault and everyone else's fault for being pigs and living beyond the land's ability to sustain us, despite my short showers. What were we thinking? Do we even think?

I'm full of dread. I'm scared. I want to pray to God but I know he's not listening. He's given up on us and his perfect creation. Or perhaps if we were created in his image, he preceded us by destroying himself long ago. At least he had the good sense to not bring down the whole of creation with him.

Yet I still wake up every morning and go through the same routine. Why? Shouldn't I fight the future? At the very least end my destructive life? I wonder when I'll wake up and not hear Metro Morning anymore. Will it still echo in my skull like a spell calling me back to my violent birthright?

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeff said...

thom, you gotta believe that the work you're doing is making some kind of difference, however small. you have to live in hope that the modest eco-impact of your life is less than the positive effects you create through your work. which i think is probably true. all we (i) can ever hope from life is that we're doing more good than harm. the good we do won't be enough to avert catastrophe, but we're playing our part in mitigating the effects as much as possible. yeah, it's pretty grim. but your options are limited. either you can stop caring altogether, and waltz as the ship sinks. or disengage from society altogether and become purely self-sufficient. i think listening to Metro Morning is your best bet.

10:28 AM

 
Blogger Jeff said...

ps. good to see you last night, after way too long.

10:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home