Mentat: That class of Imperial citizens trained for supreme accomplishments of logic. "Human computers."

Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Death Wish

Have you seen the VISA commercial? You know the one. The middle aged couple looks down at the Great Wall of China and the voice over claims, "crossing number six off your life's to do list: priceless".

But there is a price to all these dreams. It's just paid by future generations and other beings. And everywhere in former farmer's fields, the concrete airports spring up like weeds.

Just now I saw another reminder of this mentality: Ten Places You Must Visit Before You Die.

What's on your list?

Secretly we all have one, even if we know traveling is wrong and would never admit it. For me it's the far south of Chile. Don't ask me why. I think I remember seeing a television show when I was younger that explained that there it's so dry that you can see the whole sky full of stars anytime and that it's probably the most brilliant place to stargaze on earth. I could go there at the drop of the hat, but I don't. I would love to really see the stars but I can do that anywhere, can't I? I guess it'll never be as brilliant as south Chile is in my mind.

Imagination is the key. We've all but killed it off by a combination of instant gratification, shiny screens and credit cards. But keeping these destinations mere dreams lets you imagine how wonderful it would be, even if it never could be as great if you actually were there.

So make your lists and let your minds soar above the clouds and amongst the stars!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home