Mentat: That class of Imperial citizens trained for supreme accomplishments of logic. "Human computers."

Monday, December 18, 2006

A Short Comment

I know I was promising (though I never actually did formally) to write only original fiction on this blog but I really have to comment on something. I guess I'll hope for more original fiction and throw in the occasional commentary which I no longer find useful in a creative or productive way. Or do you think they are useful?


So two stories of interest came to my attention today. One for a new movie called
The US vs John Lennon and another about CSIS's spying on the Greatest Canadian. These two stories should make us all rethink our unconditional support for our beloved states, be they Canada, the United States, whatever. Sometimes, more often than we would admit, our governments and elites behave in criminal and immoral ways.

Today RCMP files reveal that Canada
spied on Tommy Douglas during the 1960s and earlier. What was his crime, this greatest of canucks? He spoke out against war. He demanded universal health care. He demanded legislation in support of the unemployed. That clearly means you're dangerous.

Then there's John Lennon who stayed in bed to protest the Vietnam War. What a terrorist! He's clearly deserving of round-the-clock surveillance.


I've been at demonstrations against war or poverty where police film you and take your picture and watch your every move. It's pretty obvious that they're attempting to scare off people from speaking out. Good luck. But was I committing a crime? Was I a terrorist? Is the status quo really that holy?


I'm reminded of a great quote from Gandhi:

First they ignore you.

Then they laugh at you.

Then they fight you.

Then you win.


Well done John and Tommy. I'm proud that our pathetic governments spied on you. It means you were doing something right and true. And we wouldn't be where we are without you; even if we still have a lot further to go. I only hope I can be as strong as you in fighting nonviolently for that lofty goal.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home