Mentat: That class of Imperial citizens trained for supreme accomplishments of logic. "Human computers."

Monday, November 26, 2007

Why Do I Care?

You know that today was my day off and I wasn't feeling well yet I still attended a four hour long council meeting hoping against hope that the "wise" councillors in attendance would vote against a proposed fare increase. In the end of course they did pass the fare increase because staff and proponents bundled it all together with some meagre service enhancements, a ridiculous plan to provide a handful of low-income Hamiltonians with discount passes and also kept the meeting under wraps until the last minute.

I know that peak oil is coming if it already isn't here. I know that our city's air is poison and that many of us are obese. I also know that climate change most definitely is here and we are just making the problem worse by sitting on our hands and debating what we should do. In terms of transportation, it's simple. No driving, no airplanes; more transit, more walking, more cycling. It's easy.

But the councillors don't get it. They can't see the big picture. This system doesn't work. It should be overthrown, broken into so many pieces that it can't be rebuilt and a good number of people must be lined up against a wall.

Realizing this, I'm thinking that I need to just prepare for the crash and build my own resiliency. And I suppose that I should do my best to throw a monkey wrench into the whole damned thing and speed its collapse. No more wage slaving for me . . . well maybe a couple more months.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home