Mentat: That class of Imperial citizens trained for supreme accomplishments of logic. "Human computers."

Saturday, April 05, 2008

Down

So this evening I read two different pieces of news. One from CATCH here in Hamilton explains that the City of Hamilton has just advertised a public information centre for Monday (it's Friday). The purpose is to get/ignore public input on the proposed aerotropolis project. For those of you not in the know, Hamilton is banking on a future built around air travel. Insane? You guessed it. But the best part is they don't want to be reminded of it hence the poor advertising and likely, limited response and green light to do what they want anyway.

Secondly, I read in the Guardian today that Ban Ki-Moon, the UN Secretary-General responded to the global food crisis. He said: "We need to be concerned about the possibility of taking land or replacing arable land because of these biofuels. While I am very much conscious and aware of these problems, at the same time you need to constantly look at having creative sources of energy, including biofuels. Therefore, at this time, just criticizing biofuel may not be a good solution. I would urge we need to address these issues in a comprehensive manner."

In other words: "I know it's a problem but I really don't want to risk my six-figure salary. Fuck all those people who are going to starve, the rich need to drive. Fuck all those animals and plants that will be displaced as more land goes into fuel cultivation. Fuck planet earth." This is message, essentially, of both news pieces.

So sitting here, staring at a screen, I'm sad. I'm so close to saying I'm done with this bullshit world. There's nothing good left besides my community. Democracy is a sham--what else is new? We're destroying everything special about the world for nothing but short term gratification. And no one really cares if it means they do with less which they most certainly must.

I just want to disappear and live out my days as the world rots from this human infection. I'm so tired of fighting and speaking the truth. No one is listening. I'm often wrong but I'm right on this one. I know what we need to do to survive. It won't be fun but it's our only choice if we want to survive. But we're not there yet and I doubt we ever will.

Glass half empty. You bet.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thomas, remember your golden rule and counter that pain you're feeling with love.

If you discount the meaning, dialogue and change that you and your community and like communities inject into the world, you give into ego and give up on more than just yourself.

Allow for the possibility and you'll find you're less alone than you think. The world teems with deep empathy and passionate, caring people.

11:55 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

amen.

keep writin', wherever the world takes you, i do love reading it.

if you've never seen it, this video is worth checking out... spoken word backed by some imagery:

http://gnn.tv/videos/7/When_the_Smoke_Clearz

11:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

one more:
http://www.survivalblog.com/

12:30 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home