Mentat: That class of Imperial citizens trained for supreme accomplishments of logic. "Human computers."

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Read Me

I just finished reading Ursula K. LeGuin's The Dispossessed. It's an amazing novel that has refined my thinking around how to live in balance with the earth and in nonviolent, communitarian communities. I urge you to take it out of your local library. I'm confident that when you've finished reading it you'll likely do so again or possibly, like myself, purchase a copy.

Here is a passage from the book:

"My world, my Earth, is a ruin. A planet spoiled by the human species. We multiplied and gobbled and fought until there was nothing left, and then we died. We controlled neither appetite nor violence; we did not adapt. We destroyed ourselves. But we destroyed the world first. There are no forests left on my Earth. The air is grey, the sky is grey, it is always hot. It is habitable, it is still habitable, but not as this world is. This is a living world, a harmony. Mine is a discord. You Odonians chose a desert; we Terrans made a desert . . . . We survive there, as you do. People are tough! There are nearly a half billion of us now. Once there were nine billion. You can see the old cities still everywhere. The bones and bricks go to dust, but the little pieces of plastic never do--they never adapt either. We failed as a species, as a social species."

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

leguin is one of my favorite authors. i've read everything by her. of course she's best known for her earthea novels, but i think her masterpiece is "always coming home". totally underrated. it's a post-apocalyptic dystopia. you'd love it.

12:17 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

last comment was by me by the way.

12:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home